Thursday 20 June 2013

Always remember to look up : Moon

For the past week or so I have been hearing about the Supermoon we will be experiencing this weekend. Through the same blog I read about the Supermoon I read that Saturn would be visible through small telescopes. So last night before I went to bed I brave the bitter cold and scoped out where the moon is in the night sky at the moment as well as where Saturn is located ( thanks to a handly Android app). When I got out side I saw there was a massive halo around the moon which is currently in it's waxing stage. To explain the halo head to this helpful Wikipedia page. I have only ever seen this phenomenon once before so rush back in side and grabbed my ever so trusty Canon EOS 600D and snapped off a few shots. Did I mention it was BITTERLY cold?! 

Due to an impending exam today I knew I could not stay up and set my telescope up last night. So tonight, I shall done some warmer attire (and maybe some gloves) and moon gaze and try and capture Saturn through my telescope. If I can figure out the tech I will try and get a few pictures through my telescope. 

There is a large version of the picture on my flickr here.

Happy Moon gazing this weekend!



1 comment:

  1. Wow Kerry. Fabulous shot. Looking forward to more of these. ox

    ReplyDelete