Thursday 6 June 2013

Family Album: Generations

My maternal grandparents were born in 1904 and 1905, my mother was born in 1946 and Danial, my brother and I, were born in the mid to late 1970's by which time my grandparents were in there late 60's. There was a massive generational gap between us and most of the time we seemed alien to my grandparents. As my grandparents live in Johannesburg and my family in Port Elizabeth, we saw my grandparents maybe once or twice a year. It was a 12 hours car ride from PE to Jo'burg and flying in South Africa at the time  was not financially doable. I didn't know Doodie and Ou poppie (what we called them) very well but they were family, I understand now that there were a lot of hardships in both their lives that were never spoken of, mostly because in the time they grew up it wasn't the done thing to talk. I wish I had of  known them then the way I know them now. I do love this photo of us.


No comments:

Post a Comment